Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Guest Post by Natoshea: Surviving the Summer HEAT!

A big thank you to my friend Natoshea (pronounced Natasha) for doing a guest post for me while I'm on vacation.  When she and I met (OMG, 10 years ago!) I felt as if I was reunited with a long lost friend.  She is one of those friends that I don't get to talk to as often as I'd like, but she just seems to get whatever I'm going through. On top of being a super-fantastic friend, she is a snazzy dresser so it was a no-brainer to ask her to do a guest post.  Now... on with the post:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surviving the Summer HEAT!

Living in Dallas we have heat from May - August in some form or another. You get used to the fact that as soon as you step outside you feel that immediate wave of heat and the sweat is soon to follow. You know what I'm talking about....you start to sweat so you try to air out your shirt by giving it that wave of sorts but it never works as well as you'd hoped. Or tugging on your shorts because they are sticking to your thighs. So deciding what to wear can be a bit tricky. 

To solve this problem my favorite item for a Hot Summer day is.... a dress. Long, short, strapless, halter, maxi - any style, any color, any day! I'm most comfortable when I can move freely without having clothes sticking to my skin.


I had been eyeing this navy and white cotton beauty for several weeks. I loved the dress, but I didn't love the price. However, we all know the golden rule when shopping: If the item is still there when you return on a later date, then its meant to be and you MUST buy it! After 3 trips to the store the dress was still there and my fiance agreed that I had to have it. Yeah!! I love the ultra soft cotton and how the drape hides my less flattering areas. My 2 cents: Horizontal stripes get a bad wrap. I think if you find the right stripe they can actually work for you, not against you. Just remember when wearing a dress of a lighter color - you may have to wear discreet undergarments to keep your business private. This dress is perfect for dinner or a 4th of July BBQ!


I decided to wear flat sandals with the dress because a heel would lift the length too far from the ground. (I'm 5'7" so for me flats are usually my go-to sandal for long dresses) The flower petals are individually attached which results in a fancy detail. My accessories are simple, silver hoop earrings and silver bangle bracelets. There are a number of other options that would go great with this dress. A chunky wooden bangle, something with a nautical feel or even a little sparkle could easily change the look.


A few other tips that I have found to be helpful when dealing with the heat:
  • Sun screen! It's important to wear a facial sunscreen everyday, even if you don't experience 100 degree heat on a regular basis. SPF 30 is great, but SPF 15 is more common in moisturizers like Oil of Olay.
  • Don't forget your eye lid primer. Not only does this help your eye shadow stay fresh, it also prevents the oily crease during a hot day. I like Prime Time by Bare Essentials.
  • Also extra deodorant in your purse can be your best friend when the funky monkey attacks!
And if you find yourself still blazing hot and uncomfortable I invite you to try my #1 solution.  Jalapeno Cucumber Margaritas!! If you've never had the pleasure - let me share with you my favorite place to enjoy the flavor of Texas - Chef Tim Love's Lonesome Dove western bistro. There is nothing that will cool you down and bite you in the tush like one of his margaritas! After a few of these you won't even notice the heat = problem solved.
http://www.lonesomedovebistro.com/index-old.asp

Outfit DetailsDress: Anthropologie
Sandals: Roxy via DSW Shoes
Silver Bangle Bracelets & Hoop Earrings: Charming Charlies
Engagement Ring: from my "honey B"

**When TMM asked me to make a guest "appearance" on her blog I was flattered & nervous but up to the challenge. I hope I didn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line! I would love to hear what you think of The Clothed Commuter.