Thursday, April 7, 2011

Modern Dance


The last two outfits were so stream lined and had such a trimming effect.  Today's outfit was the polar opposite.  I guess I had the urge to wear something warm, schlumpy, and non-revealing... and I hit every one of those marks spot on! 

 Have you ever put on an outfit and known that it really did nothing for your figure but forged on anyway?  That is what happened this morning.  I've been dying to wear this sweater (another of the Macy's purchases from mid-March) but the weather has been too warm.  It was supposed to hover in the low 50's today so I figured I'd be alright to throw on a huge fun sweater.  Plus the front of our office (where I sit) gets much cooler than the rest of the office.  I don't know that I'll repeat this outfit, but it worked today!

I spent a few years in college as a dance minor.  I took classes every semester and loved (almost) every minute of it.  My freshman year in college I took my first modern dance class.  My friend and I would get cramps from trying not to laugh during our class. Most of the time I felt like I was doing a Zena, Warrior Princess reenactment.  A few years later I took another modern class.  I almost lost it the day the instructor brought in a bunch of drummers and we were all told to move however we felt inspired.  The only thing the drummers inspired in me was ab contractions from hysterical laughter.  I had to dig deep for my inner Saturday Night Live character to get through that class.  I literally pretended like I had an audience and had to let them do the laughing for me.

Isadora Duncan
Doris Humphrey

Ruth St. Denis

You may ask why I kept taking modern classes if all I did was make fun of it?  It forced me to step out of my comfort zone.  I like the safety of choreography, I love the discipline of ballet, I felt comfortable with the predictable beats used in jazz.  I truly believe that if you want to grow, you have to step out of your comfort zone.  Modern pushed me WAY out of my comfort zone... and that is why I kept going and laughing.

Most of today, I felt like the pioneering ladies of modern dance above.  With all of the flowy fabric I was wearing, I couldn't resist pretending I had my own drummers in my living room while I was taking photos today.


Outfit Details
Maxi Dress: Gap
Pink Layering T (I promise, it is under there): Gap
Cream Sweater: One A via Macy's
Boots: Aerosoles (gift from former coworker)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line! I would love to hear what you think of The Clothed Commuter.