Friday, April 1, 2011

FBFF - Rules of Engagement




This weeks Friend Friday questions have to deal with interaction between fellow bloggers.  Having started The Clothed Commuter only a few months ago, I can't only attest to what I've experienced so far.  If you are interested in participating in the Friend Beauty Fashion Friday questions, contact Katy at Modly Chic. And on with the questions...

1. Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?

I think it is important to reach out to bloggers and let them know specifically what you like about their style or blog.  Keeping in contact with certain bloggers by leaving thoughtful comments helps to establish that you aren't there just to self promote.  I don't have any experience seeking out a guest spot with anyone so I'll let you know for sure when I get there ;o)


2. Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?

I try to leave thoughtful comments for other bloggers when I can relate to something in the post or when I aspire to their level of style. Reading through the comments on other blogger's posts have lead me to some of my favorite blogs.  If they leave an insightful comment, I'll consequently check out that person's blog.  I decided to leave my blog address with my comments hoping others might find me that way as well.  I have had a few people mention "I've added you, can you add me" and I can't say that I've added all of those people (sorry, I know how hard it can be to reach out).  I want people to follow The Clothed Commuter because they liked something on my blog, not because I'm following them.

3. We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… But the mass emails don’t work. How do you make your email stand out from the crowd?

When I started The Clothed Commuter, I made sure to get up a handful of posts before I reached out to anyone.  There were a few gals that really stood out in my eyes by either having fun style, witty commentary, or just seemed like people I would be friends with in the real world.  I wrote to them letting them know my favorite part of their blog and then asked for one or two tips and tricks.  I would like to thank Kinsey - In Kinsey's Closet, Kimberly - Fab Finds Under $50, Jill - Spoils of Wear, (and a few others) for responding to my emails and offering up their advice and enthusiasm. 

4. In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure?

I started my blog for fun and as an escape from a job that was stressing me out.  One of my coworkers at the time kept telling me I should write or have my own stand-up routine.  While I don't think my humor has come out so much through this blog, it has been exactly what I wanted and needed... a creative outlet!  I'm proud to say that I have not begged for any exposure or asked anything more that what I mentioned above.  I want this blog to grow because people are interested in either my style or what I have to say, not just because I beg them to.

5. What’s one rule of engagement error you made and how have you remedied that?

Honestly, probably not reaching out enough!  I see how much others reach out and sometimes I feel a little like I'm out here on my own.  But until I can invest more time... I'll keep bumbling along out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line! I would love to hear what you think of The Clothed Commuter.