Thursday, January 13, 2011

And... Action!

There is a monthly video newsletter that goes out to all of the employees in our department and this month’s installment featured our department’s mascot.  I often help out with the mascot by either being the character actor inside of the costume or by assisting the person in the costume.  This is a large costume weighing in at about 35lbs and visibility is low for the person inside.  Most of the today was spent helping my coworker in and out of the costume (Yay, no costume hair for me).  I was aware I would be helping with the mascot today but I didn’t take into account how much work goes in to these five minute video newsletters… about four hours just on the part of the actors, that’s how much!

I should have thought through my choice of shoes a little better because these aren’t all day walking shoes!  And because I wasn’t in my usual building, I wasn’t able to switch into my uber-fashionable white sneakers. I wasn’t going to cry or anything that dramatic but my feet are sore from all of the walking up and down the halls all day.  I liked the way this outfit looked in the reflection this morning but I'm just not sure about it now that I've seen the pictures. 

In December I went to a local thrift store in search of a wool plaid skirt.  The stylings of Jill from Spoils of Wear inspired me to try out the look myself.  I wasn’t keen on spending a lot of money on a look I wasn’t sure I was going to like.  When I went in to the store I spotted the brown/grey/black number with an orange price tag that said $4.99.  I kept looking and found a pleated, blue tartan one as well, also with an orange sticker that said $4.99.  Seeing as it was December, the month for giving (not buying for myself) I was really hesitant to get both so I chose the one in the picture.  When I got up to the counter to pay I found out that everything with the little orange sticker was $.99 so I ran back and grabbed the blue one as well – two skirts for less than $2!  Winner – Winner – Chicken Dinner!!!


I love the fact that the skirt on the left has so many neutral colors.  It leaves the door open to pair it with so many different things. Did I mention that the original tags were still on the skirt from 1970something? The one on the right reminds me of an old lady version of the Britney Spears "Oops I did it again" skirt.  I'm not sure if I'm going to shorten it a little (not Britney short) or leave it as is.  I suppose I'll have to wear it the length it is now just to try it out and then decide.


Outfit Details
Black sweater: Old Navy
Grey crew neck: Target
Skirt: Vintage with original tags still on it!
Black tights: Payless
Boots: Bass Outlet

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Both skirts are fab (both vintage?), but the brown & black one is just perfect! I love how you styled it! Thanks for the shout-out too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Love the blog! Thanks so much for the mention in one of the earlier post and listing me in your blog roll.

    This reminds me I have a couple of plaid skirt that I need to pull out. Great mix with the plaid tights and skirt too.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! I would love to hear what you think of The Clothed Commuter.