Thursday, March 10, 2011

Friend Friday: Balance in Blogging

This week's Friend Friday topic is balance.  How do we as bloggers find balance between family, work, and other time commitments while still finding time to blog on a consistent basis. If you would like to see other bloggers answers, feel free to head over to Modly Chic... and once again, thank you Katy for putting together some very thoughtful questions.


I will reprioritize for this little monkey any day!
My super adorable niece, Brooklynn.

1. When it comes to prioritizing your life, in what place does blogging fall?
That question would vary is you asked me versus asking my boyfriend.  Seeing as this is my blog I get to answer the question.  I would say that right now blogging is taking a higher priority than it probably should.  I've been spending an hour to two hours researching, writing, taking and editing pictures, and updating my Facebook page.  This blog has been my escape lately and I figure if blogging is keeping me off the streets and off of smack, then we are on the right track. Disclaimer: I have never been a street walker or done smack or crack... Hugs not Drugs kids!

2. We all wish we had more free time to dedicate to blogging and all it entails. What are your tricks for taking advantage of the time you do have to be as productive as possible?
I try to use my commuting time to brainstorm.  I have a small note pad in my purse and occasionally spend my 45-60 minute bus ride to jot down notes.  I also have a folder in my computer where I've started a few different ideas and I'll add to them as I think of more.  My coworkers are often my first audience to my ideas for the blog.  They occasionally ask questions about what I'm wearing or ask what I think about what they are wearing and that will start me thinking about future blog topics.

3. Have you discovered any short-cuts that makes blogging easier or more time efficient?
Oh how the boyfriend would like me to make things more time efficient when it comes to blogging!  Honestly, practice is making things speedier for me.  I did learn how to set the time to take multiple pictures and that really saves me a bit of time.  If I could get the photo editing to go a little faster I think the whole process would be more time efficient. 

4. Do you have an editorial calendar or something similar that helps you plan ahead?
No but I'm working on one for the future.  I'm thinking of doing theme days of some sort.  I think that might help me stay a little more focused on things that I'd like to write about eventually.

5. If time wasn’t an issue what would you be doing on your blog/for your blog that you aren’t doing now?
I would really like to take a little bit of time to figure out Polyvore and a few of the other sites that allow you to make outfits.  I'm just not that savvy yet.  I'm also planning on doing a few features on local retailers.  The process will take a few hours per location so I need to calendar those and allot time. 

Right now I'm having so much fun writing, being creative with my outfits and accessories, and coming up with topics that I'm alright with the amount of time I'm spending on this project.  I plan to continue devoting this much time as long as I'm having fun.  I'm really hoping as I keep going I'll hone my skills and the blog posts will happen more quickly.  Until then, slow and steady wins the race (what race? I'm not sure).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line! I would love to hear what you think of The Clothed Commuter.